Product review by Sharon of all natural beauty
| Just like the front of the book suggests, this book really gets to the 'root' of the topic at hand, herbs and things. If anyone understands this subject, it's Jeanne Rose, herbalist and aromatherapist extraordinaire. This lime green book will become one that you will refer to often for it's endless insight and fabulous recipes.
The book starts off with human conditions (everything from Obesity to Preventing Nightmares) and what botanicals can be used to treat them. Then you'll find a most thorough glossary of terms. You'll also find weights and measurements, directions for using botanicals, and even a state-by-state buying guide of where to buy your herbs and supplies.
Ms. Rose is a big believer in the art of the bath, and has added a most wonderful section on bathing in Chapter IX "Herbal Baths for Beauty and Health". In the chapter she says, "Keep several bottles of different kinds of herbs around for different kinds of experiences - pine if you would like to fantasize bathing in a forest; a combination of rosemary and lavender if the scent near the ocean is what you prefer; jasmine if you like the feel of a warm tropical evening. They smell beautiful and perform the important function of smoothing and hydrating the skin, leaving it looking and feeling younger." The chapter then goes on to include many inspirational bath recipes, including one from as early as 1606.
The book continues on to natural methods of beauty care using herbs and other botanicals, with many more easy-to-use recipes including creams and lotions, cleansers, powders, masks, deodorants, astringents, hair shampoos, oils and aromatic vinegars, colognes, and even handmade soap.
But the information doesn't stop there. There are also 'Female Recipes', a chapter on 'Fat and How Not to Be', and a very interesting chapter all about common ailments, which includes many helpful recipes. Not to miss anything, the book ends by teaching some herbal magic and folklore. I know that this will be a beneficial book for you. If you enjoy making your own herbal beauty products, or are a beginner and want to learn more, you will not go wrong with this book. And don't forget that Jeanne Rose travels the country teaching seminars, so make sure to check out her class schedule to see if she'll be teaching a class near you. She also offers two wonderful at-home learning courses, the Herbal Studies Course and the Aromatherapy Studies Course.
Learn more about studying with Jeanne Rose here: http://www.jeannerose.net/courses.html
Jeanne Rose's Class Schedule: http://www.jeannerose.net/calendar.html
Here's what Jeanne Rose has to say ~
"A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Herbal Lore by Jeanne Rose / Illustrated by Michael S. Moore /Published by Last Gasp- San Francisco (1972,2001). The Essential Herbal Reference Book! Over 300,000 copies sold."
"The premier herbal that started the New Age (new & old) interest in the herbal wisdom of the past. A compendium of practical and exotic herbal lore." (in NEW "Retro" Green & Purple Cover!)
Buy your copy at http://www.jeannerose.net/books.html
Price - $17.95
Jeanne Rose signing one of her books at her class in Mechanicsburg, PA, Nov. 2006.
Check out the Jeanne Rose site for many excellent beauty products too!
Other Spotlights for this company:
- Essential Oil Travel Kits (January 2004)
Essential Oils from Jeanne Rose
- Hydrosols ()
The Real Product of Distillation
- Citrus - Lemons & Limes ()
+ Lemon Hand Cream Recipe!
- Bruise Juice ()
+ The recipe!
- Lotions, Potions and Pores, Creams and Moisturizers ()
Learn about moisturizers, + Recipes!
- An Aromatic Glossary of Useful Terms ()
A-Z Aromatherapy Help
- SPA - Salud Per Aqua ()
SPA at Home - Health Through Water
- Herbal Glossary ()
Descriptions of Many of the Plants (and Other Things Useful on the Body)
- Herbal Powders and Deodorants ()
- Jeanne Rose (September 2003)
- Salt - Bath Salts ()
- Lavender Production ()
- Preserve Formula (C) for Lotions and Water-Based Items (July 2007)
An essential oil recipe to preserve your lotions and water-based items
- Botanical Medicine Woman, Modern Sage - Jeanne Rose (September 2007)
Alexandra's story about the legendary herbalist, aromatherapist, teacher, and friend
- Fixatives and What are They? (June 2010)
Aromatherapy & Perfumery
- How to use Avocado for Beauty Care (April 2011)
Make it Yourself Beauty
- 50 Ways To Use Essential Oils for a Cleaner, Sweet-Smelling Life (May 2011)
For Your Aromatic Life
- Aromatherapy Treatments (September 2011)
Learning from the best...
- Blending Essential Oils for a Pleasant Scent & Are herbs that I grow myself as good as the ones I buy? (January 02, 2012)
- Are there certain Essential Oils that Oily Skin Types should avoid? What should be the strength of Tea Tree when used on blemishes? (Tuesday, January 24, 2012)
- How can I make my own Cleansing Oil for Dry Skin? (Friday, March 02, 2012)
- Are fixatives the same thing as oils that age well? (Friday, April 13, 2012)
- Are there any home remedies to stop hair loss? (Monday, April 16, 2012)
- Is there a Natural Remedy for Gnats that would help my Dogs? (Thursday, May 31, 2012)
- Kitchen Cosmetics by Jeanne Rose (June 2012)
The Basics... from the Best
- What would be a good aromatherapy oil I could use to relax me in the evenings? (Monday, July 16, 2012)
- Emotional Effects of Essential Oils (Calming) (July 2012)
- What are the Best Oils to use for Wrinkle Reduction and Pore Minimizing? (Friday, August 03, 2012)
- What can I use to help my son's keratosis pilaris on his cheeks and arms? (Friday, August 03, 2012)
- How do you Incorporate Citrus EO's in Skincare Products to Prevent Photosensitivity?" (Thursday, February 07, 2013)
- How should I Take Care of my 55 Year Old, Dry Skin? (Wednesday, February 27, 2013)
- Herbal Body Book (March 2013)
The Herbal Way to Natural Beauty & Health for Men & Women
- The Aromatherapy Book (March 2013)
Applications & Inhalations
- 375 Essential Oils & Hydrosols (March 2013)
Your Reference Guide to EO's and Hydrosols
- What Natural Advice do You Have for Hot Flashes? (Tuesday, March 26, 2013)
- Are All Types of Chamomile Helpful for Inducing Sleep? (Wednesday, April 10, 2013)
- Oh Acne, Ugly Acne (May 2013)
How to Treat Teenage Acne
- What would You Recommend for Dermatitis Seborrhea? (Wednesday, May 01, 2013)
- Are Herbal Tinctures Safe for Use in Skin Products on Babies and Small Children? (Thursday, June 06, 2013)
- What essential oil would you suggest for centering/ grounding? Would you use it in a diffuser or other application? (Thursday, October 17, 2013)