I've been coloring my hair for years, sometimes at home and sometimes at the salon I go to. I understand that hair coloring can be toxic and I want to go a more healthy way if possible. Can you tell me what my options are please? I understand that henna is not good for blond hair. My hair is medium blond.
What a great question & one that I am excited to answer! You are certainly correct that the chemicals that are found in almost all hair color on the market, whether for home use or for professional salons, contain some of the harshest, unhealthy ingredients one can imagine. Ammonia, chlorine bleach, ppds & industrial grade hydrogen peroxide are just a few. A simple google search on the effects of these chemicals to the body can be enough to make anyone want to avoid the salon altogether. The lack of knowledge & understanding that exists in the hair styling profession about the processes & treatments that are used on a daily basis on a client's hair is scary! There used to be no choice, besides avoiding coloring your hair altogether.
The good news is that we have come a long way! Education is the key & many stylists & clients are going back to the basics of nature to enhance their beauty. As a professional stylist & an owner of one of the first 100% pure haircare lines, finding a way to color my clients' hair has been essential. I have found, albeit a professional only color line, that is non-toxic. It uses heat, oils & pharmaceutical hydrogen peroxide & has the lowest amount of ppds, essential for permanent covering of grey hair.
As for your options, your professional stylist can receive a free packet of information via my website here: http://www.shearmiraclesorganichaircare.com/content/organic-color-information-contact
Most professional hairstylists will not recommend henna. First of all, henna is unpredictable & can leave you with undesired results. It coats the hair, which is hard to remove, thus making future changes in color tough.
Henna actually only contains one molecule that will stain the hair & this is a red-orange molecule (& how many people really want red-orange hair?). Henna, without being combined with other things, cannot come in any other color. So, this means that if a company is offering many color choices with 100% henna, you can be guarenteed to find some hidden ingreidents like, additional plant dyes, chemcials, metallic salts, para-phenlendmine, etc.
Other Spotlights for this company:
- Shear Miracles Organic Salon & Products "Hair Coloring" (August 2008)
At last... A NON-Toxic Hair Coloring Process besides Henna!
- Hair Volumizing Trio (November 2008)
3 Amazing Products for Your Fine Hair
- Secret Life of a Hairstylist (January 2009)
The inside scoop on what it's like to 'do hair' from those that know
- Absolute Perfection Trio (August 2009)
A line just for Rosacea!
- Beautiful Feet Organic Scrub & Cream (December 2009)
Pamper your feet with purity
- Shear Miracle Organics: 'Love & Romance' Massage Oil (February 2010)
Set the mood for romance
- Robyn Atticks (February 2010)
- Shear Miracle Organics: Baby Sunscreen (June 2010)
Part of the Baby Miracles Collection
- Spicy Island Shampoo & Conditioner (July 2010)
Heady fragrance and ALL Natural!
- Shear Miracle Organics: Spicy Island Shampoo & Conditioner (November/December 2010)
- Sophie Eye Shadow (March 2011)
Sophisticated yet Subtle
- Shear Miracle Organics: Achieve Finishing Lotion & Soft as Satin Hair Polish (Spring 2011)
Start your hair styles off right
- Organic Body Lotion (May 2011)
Soft luscious skin... naturally!
- Organic Mascara & Organic Eye Liner (August 2011)
Two products that really work!
- Luxury Cream Foundation & Luxury Loose Powder (October 2011)
Great All-Natural Coverage!
- How would the Shear Miracle Organics Achieve Finishing Lotion & Shine Like a Star Serum work for a Curly Style? (Thursday, March 01, 2012)
- How do you keep moisture in the hair naturally? (Thursday, April 19, 2012)
- What Suggestion do You have for Psoriasis? (Monday, June 04, 2012)
- Which is the Best Option for Coloring My Hair? (Saturday, June 30, 2012)
- Are Natural/Organic Shampoos Safe for Color-Treated Hair? (Saturday, June 30, 2012)
- What should I Use on my Hair after it's been Damaged by a Bad Color Processing Treatment? (Friday, August 24, 2012)
- Is Silicone Safe in Hair Products? (Friday, September 14, 2012)
- What Shampoo would You Recommend for Hard Water? (Sunday, September 30, 2012)
- What is a good shampoo or home remedy shampoo for hair that gets it clean and not oily thick feeling? (Friday, January 11, 2013)
- What are some Good Products/Homemade Recipes for Shiny Hair? (Tuesday, August 27, 2013)